Archaeological Museum of Chania
Updated: Apr 21
George Papadellis | SG Head
The Archaeological Museum of Chania, built in 1962, is hosted in the former Venetian Monastery of Saint Francis at Chania city, which served as a Venetian church.
The museum contains a significant collection of Roman and Minoan artifacts found in excavations around the city of Chania and further, including findings from the ancient (in Chania) cities of Aptera, Kissamos, Lissos, Kydonia, Polyrinia, Idramia, Elyros, Svia and Irtakina, and the cities Lappa and Axos of Rethymno.
Some of the most know exhibits of the museum are the Roman floor mosaic presenting Dionysos and Ariadne, the Minoan sarcophagus from the necropolis of Armeni (1400–1200 BC), the clay sealing from Kasteli with the Minoan city depicted (1450-1500 BC), the spherical flask from the 3rd Minoan period, the clay pyxis with the representation of a kithara player from a chamber tomb in Aptera (1300–1200 BC) and the ancient vessel from Kissamos.