Monastery of Varlaam | Meteora | A Top Unesco World Heritage Monument
Updated: Sep 15
George Papadellis | SG Head
Moni Varlaam is a mens' monastery on the top of a steep rock, one of the six still operating in the area of Meteora, which were nominated as UNESCO World Heritage Monuments in 1988.
The Varlaam Monastery was created in the beginning of the 16th century. However it was named from the eremite Varlaam who lived on the rock in the 14th century. It was organized by the brothers Nektarios and Theofanis from Epirus, the so-called Apsarades, at the beginning of the 16th century.
In 1518, the chapel of the Three Hierarchs, which had been built by Varlaam, was renovated, while in 1536 the tower of brizonion was built. The katholikon of the Varlaam Monastery Meteora was built in 1541.
The oldest hagiographies of Varlaam Monastery were made by Frango Katelanos in 1548. The intermediate ones were painted by the hagiographers Georgios and Frangos Kontaris in 1566. The most recent ones date from 1780. The Varlaam Monastery in Meteora Greece is widely known also for its significant file.