Church of Petra | Lesbos
Updated: Mar 31
The church of Petra (Panagia Glykofiloussa: Sweetkissing Madonna) is built on a rock in the center of the village of Petra, and it needs 114 steps to reach.
Its position gives to the observer the impression that it was probably built during the periods of the pirate invasions. The first church was possibly built in the beginning of the 17th century as the catholic of a women’s monastery and it was reconstructed in 1840. The architectural style belongs to the Genuate period. The church has rare Byzantine icons and other important exhibits. Most pilgrims visit the church during the first 15 days of August.