Acropolis of Lindos | Rhodes | A Natural Citadel of Knights
Updated: Apr 26
The acropolis rising above the modern town of Lindos, is a natural citadel, fortified between 800 BC and 200 BC by the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Knights of St. John and the Ottomans.
The old city of Lindos was founded by the Dorians. By the 8th century, it was a major trading center, but its importance declined in the 5th century after the foundation of the city of Rhodes.
On the acropolis of Lindos today, parts of the following can be seen:
1) The Doric Temple of Athena, dating from 300 BC, built on the site of an older temple. Inside the temple is the offerings table and the base of the statue of Athena.
2) The Propylaea of the Sanctuary, dating from 4th century BC. A staircase leads to a stoa and wall with five door openings.
3) The Hellenistic Stoa dating from 200 BC, 87 metres long, consisted of 42 columns.
4) The relief of a warship inside the rock at the foot of the stair steps leading to the acropolis, dating from 180 BC.
5) The Hellenistic staircase (dating from 200 BC) leading to the central archaeological area of the acropolis.
6) Remains of a Roman temple (dedicated to the Emperor Diocletian) dating from 300 AD.
7) The Hellenistic Wall surrounding the acropolis, leading to the entrance of the site, dating from the 2nd century AD.
8 The Castle of the Knights of St John, built before 1320 on the foundations of older Byzantine fortifications. Today only one of the towers at the southwest corner and one to the west still survive
9) The Greek Church of St John, dating from 1300 - 1400 AD and built on the ruins of an older church dating from 400 AD.
Scenes of the famous film "The Guns of Navarone" were filmed at the Acropolis of Lindos.