Mansion of Georgios Mavros | Ampelakia
Updated: Apr 10
The mansion, located in the traditional village of Ampelakia, belonged to Georgios Mavros (or Schwartz), the pioneer of the creation (in 1778) of the Common Company and Brotherhood of Ampelakia (its administrator).
The building was used to house the Company’s main operations, such as transactions, meetings of its members, custody of funds, for more than 40 years, specifically from 1778 to 1820.
The construction started in 1778 and ended up in 1787, with a three-floor building with a reception hall, bedrooms and secondary rooms, decorated with with wall paintings and wood curved parts. The architectural style is 18th century (L shape) with projecting balconies. The decoration was finalized in 1798, consisting of mainly geometric patterns, while also landscapes and flowers.
In 1965, the mansion was purchased by the Greek State. Since then, it has been a monument open to the public.